Why consider ChildSafe?
Because it works
ChildSafe is applicable to any organisation working with children and young people - schools, clubs, sporting groups, churches and so on. As a system, it scales to suit both large and small organisations. There are National organisations using ChildSafe across Australia among thousands of workers, and small community churches adopting the system for a handful of people.
>> Endorsements for ChildSafe
>> Major organisations using ChildSafe
Because it's a system
People with different levels of responsibility access the various elements of our system to work safely with children and young people. The three key elements are:
- ChildSafe Standards provided in our publications.
- Training materials included in the publications and as online training.
- Access to Safety Management Online for people at each level.
Because it addresses the issues
ChildSafe has two key thrusts: Child Protection and Safety (Risk) Management. The system has a strong emphasis on preventing the maltreatment of children, and responding appropriately when child abuse comes to light. ChildSafe also assists the organisation to plan safe activities and programs using a risk management framework. The system covers a broad range of topics such as:
- Screening and recruiting.
- Duty of care issues, with a code of practice for working with children and young people.
- Supervision and work within a safe team.
- Signs and indicators of child abuse, responding sensitively to disclosure of abuse.
- Dealing with suspicions, disclosures and allegations relating to child protection issues.
- Transportation and water-based activities as a particular risk focus.
- Hygiene, medical safety, infection, food handling.
- Accident and incident reporting, processing and analysis.
- An Emergency Response process.